Musings about Lee and Pickett’s Charge

After researching Pickett’s Charge, I decided to analyze and ponder the reasons General Robert E. Lee utilized when he ordered his men to attack fortified Union troops on July 3, 1863 near the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.  Through the usage of primary accounts and secondary sources, I hope to shed light upon the possible positive outcomes as seen from the Confederate perspective, as well as the eventual defeat of the Army of Northern Virginia.  Considering Lee’s experiences at the battle of Malvern Hill where his men held the high ground and the Union charged against the Confederate position, why did he order his men forward into a known Union onslaught? Based upon his own military experiences, as well as those of his subordinates, should Lee have ordered the Army of Northern Virginia to attack? After marching in a near perfect line that measured almost a mile wide while continuously being bombarded by artillery and small arms fire, did the commander of the Confederate forces ultimately believe that his brave troops could defeat and rout their enemy?  Throughout my in-depth research, I anticipate the intelligent answers to these questions and additional ponderings that will arise while analyzing the thought processes of General Lee before, during, and after issuing the orders to charge the Union position.

Pickett’s Charge, July 3, 1863

The above link will direct the viewer to a map of the early morning hours of Pickett’s Charge.

Tags: ,